DigiLocker is one of the key initiatives under the Digital India Programme. DigiLocker is a service launched by Government of India on 1st July 2015 to provide a secure dedicated personal electronic space for storing the documents of resident Indian citizens. The storage space (maximum 1GB) is linked to the Aadhar number of the user. The space can be utilized for storing personal documents like University certificates, PAN cards, voter id cards, etc., and the URI’s of the e-documents issued by various issuer departments.
DigiLocker provides a personal storage space in the cloud to Indian citizens. Organizations that are registered with DigiLocker can push electronic copies of documents and certificates (e.g. driving license, Voter ID, School certificates) directly into citizens’ lockers. Citizens can also upload scanned copies of their legacy documents in their accounts. These legacy documents can be electronically signed using the eSign facility provided in DigiLocker.
A citizen can share these electronic certificates online with various agencies while applying for the services provided by them.
How does DigiLocker work?
To sign up for a DigiLocker account, you need to have an Aadhaar number. There are two ways to sign up:
1. Mobile OTP: Use this method if your Aadhaar number is linked to your mobile number. Once you enter the Aadhaar number on the Sign Up page, a “One Time Password” (OTP) is sent to your mobile through SMS.
2. Biometric: If you have a biometric device attached to your computer, you can sign up by scanning your fingerprint. After successful OPT or biometric validation, you are asked to create a username and password. This completes the sign up process.
How is DigiLocker going to help me?
The DigiLocker platform has the following benefits:
1. Citizens can now access their digital documents anytime, anywhere and share it online. This is convenient and time saving.
2. It reduces the administrative overhead of Government departments by minimizing the use of paper.
3. DigiLocker makes it easier to validate the authenticity of documents as they are issued directly by the registered issuers.
4. Self uploaded documents can be eSigned which is similar to the process of self-attestation.
DigiLocker registration progress in India till 29 July 2015
To Create Your Digital Locker Click Here: https://digitallocker.gov.in